Thursday, February 10, 2011

End of the large Coke can on Rosebank


I'd been alerted over the weekend that the well-known Avondale landmark was going to be removed from above the verandah of the Rosebank Dairy, 146 Rosebank Road, where it had been a landmark for, well, as long as I can remember. I headed down there today, earliest opportunity I had -- but missed it. "Oh blast and bother," I thought to myself.


But, where there's a will, and a collection of photos held by the Avondale-Waterview Historical Society, there's a way.


It just so happened that the first President, my precessessor Bruce Spencer, took this photo in April 2002, before the Society had even incorporated. Here you see the Rosebank Dairy in older livery, and with the iconic Coke can in place.

It seems, just by a quick look at the directories, that the dairy started as a grocers shop in the late 1920s by the Davies family, in particular a Mrs Jean Davies. I'd love to know more about the history of the business, if anyone reading this can help.

No comments:

Post a Comment