Thursday, December 16, 2010

Happy 200th Birthday, Mr Henderson


On a rainy and slightly chilly December morn, members of West Auckland Historical Society and I marked the bicentennary today of the birth of Thomas Maxwell Henderson, of Henderson's Mill and Circular Saw Line fame, out at Symonds Street Cemetery. I provided the image of younger Mr Henderson in his prime, and the gorgeous hibiscus blooms came from the garden of Trevor and Fay Pollard.


I read out bits from the obituary of 28 June 1886 (next year marks 125 years since he died, so that's important too). Now, I need to get A into G and get Timber's Fortune finished over this quiet season. Crossing fingers ...


The crew braving the elements (from left): Jean Blaiklock, Fay Pollard, Margaret Black, Jim Black, Peter Blaiklock, Bruce Harvey, and Trevor Pollard. You're all a top crew, folks. Many thanks for coming along.

2 comments:

  1. cool, we are learning about Thomas henderson right now at school

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas is my 3rd great grandfather; I wish I was there. Thanks for keeping his memory alive!

    ReplyDelete