Sunday, March 15, 2009

Rocket Park

One of the enduring and endearing landmarks along New North Road in Auckland is the rocket in Rocket Park, close to the Mt Albert community halls complex. Constructed in 1967 by the Mt Albert Lions Club at the height of the Space Age, it reflected that age and made the surrounding kiddies' playground well-known across Auckland.

Yesterday, when I took the photograph while sheltering from a March autumn drizzle, I noticed that a sign has been placed at the bottom of the rocket, effectively saying "Danger, do not climb." The rocket is there just as a landmark now, and is no longer the cool kids' climbing frame (with two internal ladders) it once was. Even the Mt Albert Lions Club is today defunct.

I'd say there'd be an outcry if the rocket was removed, though, or the name of the playground changed.

3 comments:

  1. Oooo that is so cool, reminds me of some climbing equipment of my yoof here in Oz, yes, space-age inspired stuff, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love playing on that old rocket! Growl snarl they've let it go to ruin!!! Damn I would love to have taken my kids there to play. Sad. Great photo Ice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers, Jayne & Liz. Yep, said that it's come to this: something cool to play on has now fallen to the rule of OSH. Yet another marker along the way showing how we're getting old ...

    ReplyDelete