Monday, January 26, 2009

What's inside a railway crossing barrier arm



I blame the Meccano set I used to play with when I was a nipper for being fascinated by stuff like this. My late Uncle Tom, according to my Mum, loved pulling radios and other similar stuff apart to see how they worked, then (attempt) to put them back together again. That worked, at times.

Me, I think the Meccano set is the reason why I'm fascinated by mechanical stuff. So, today, while I decided to enjoy the sunshine of our Auckland Anniversary Day and take a long walk through the neighbourhood, I spotted the above (detail below) at Chalmers Street rail crossing. It was my good luck that Ontrack workers were testing the barriers -- they were about to close both boxes up as I got there.

No comments:

Post a Comment