Friday, November 7, 2008

British Commonwealth Pacific Airlines



Another from my collection of anonymous photos. The period is just about the only thing I can pin down -- late 1940s-early 1950s. This is because of the plane, part of the fleet of British Commonwealth Pacific Airlines, based in Sydney but operating throughout the Pacific region. They started in 1946, and ran into financial difficulties after a plane crash (cause: pilot error) on approach to San Francisco Airport in 1953. QANTAS took over the airline's Pacific route, and TEAL (forerunner to Air New Zealand) took over the planes.

Somed of BCPA's promotional posters are online.

2 comments:

  1. the photo is of my father, who was a radio officer with BCPA, my mother and me taken at Auckland airport 1948/49.
    HS

    ReplyDelete